Colombo, January 14 (Daily Mirror) – Health authorities say there was no immediate threat to Sri Lanka despite one individual being detected with the new variant of the coronavirus. Deputy Director-general of Public Health Services Dr. Hemantha Herath urged the public to remain calm saying all precautionary measures had been taken.
He said that steps had been taken at the start when it was suspected that the arrival from the UK had been infected with the new strain.
Dr. Herath said that the arrival was from the UK but refused to reveal details of the individual.
Daily Mirror had exclusively reported yesterday that the new strain may have entered Sri Lanka.
Dr. Herath said that gene sequencing resulted in the detection of the new strain in the individual.
Chief Epidemiologist Dr. Sudath Samaraweera said measures will be taken to strictly enforce health guidelines in Sri Lanka and to prevent the new variant from entering society. He further said there is no change to the COVID containment process currently followed by health officials.
The Chief Epidemiologist said the detection, treatment, and management of the virus will remain unchanged at present. (Jamila Husain)