Colombo, June 28 (AdaDerana) – The Cabinet of Ministers has green-lighted opening up the fuel import and retail sales market to companies from oil-producing nations.
The proposal was tabled by Minister of Power & Energy Kanchana Wijesekara for entering into long-term agreements with selected companies in oil-producing countries by following the formal procedure.
For similar articles, join our Telegram channel for the latest updates. – click here
Approximately, 90% of Sri Lanka’s fuel demand is fulfilled by the Ceylon Petroleum Corporation (CPC), and the remaining 10% by Lanka IOC, the IndianOil’s subsidiary in Sri Lanka.
Ensuring an uninterrupted fuel supply to the country has become a challenge due to the current foreign exchange crisis in Sri Lanka, the Government Information Department said in a statement.
Accordingly, long-term agreements signed with selected companies in foreign oil-producing countries will allow them to import and sell fuel using their own funds, in a manner that does not put pressure on the foreign exchange issue in Sri Lanka.
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates from around the world