New Delhi, July 21: Offering a solution to the ongoing border standoff with China, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Thursday told the Rajya Sabha that both Indian and Chinese soldiers should withdraw from the Doklam region in the tri-junction with Bhutan, reports www.soouthasianmonitor.com
The Minister said Panchsheel, the Nehruvian principle of peaceful mutual co-existence, is on track but any unilateral altering of the border by China will amount to a “direct threat” to India’s security concerns.
“This time they brought bulldozers, and earth excavators [to build a road] and their intention is to reach the tri-junction of India-China-Bhutan. If China alters the status quo of the tri-junction unilaterally, then it becomes a direct challenge to our security. China wants us to withdraw our soldiers. [But], what [do] we want? If there is to be sit-down talks, then both countries should withdraw their soldiers,” Swaraj said in a statement.
This is the most detailed statement from the government on the standoff on the Doklam plateau, which constitutes the triangular area where borders of India, Bhutan and China meet.
Swaraj also indicated that dialogue with other countries had been held on this issue and India received support for its position.
(The featured picture at the top is that of the Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj)