Dubai, Oct 12 (AFP): The fate of Twenty20 World Cup matches if players test COVID positive will be decided by a committee and not by the member boards, the global governing body said yesterday.
T20 cricket’s showpiece events begins 17 October in the United Arab Emirates and Oman with the International Cricket Council hoping for a smooth tournament amid coronavirus concerns.
For similar articles, join our Whatsapp group for the latest updates. – click here
India’s pull-out just two hours before the toss of the fifth Manchester Test due to COVID fears in their camp last month left the England and Wales Cricket board facing financial losses and was a reminder of the uncertain times.
ICC Acting Chief Executive Geoff Allardice said any such last-minute decisions will be taken by a bio-safety advisory group.
“We have a committee set up to look at any cases that arise during the event and they will look at identifying close contacts and taking decisions around future events,” Allardice told a virtual news conference. “Any decisions around matches will be taken by that committee and it’s not going to be something that’s going to be dealt with by the members as it may do in bilateral cricket.” The 16 nations at the World Cup will be confined to their hotels for the majority of the month-long tournament.
READ: T20 World Cup: ICC announces prize money
Subscribe to our Whatsapp channel for the latest updates from around the world