Colombo, Aug 17 (newsin.asia) – Sri Lanka’s dengue epidemic, which has so far killed over 300 people and infected over 136,000 this year is now seeing a decrease with hospital admissions sharply down, health workers said Thursday.
Colombo, which saw a rise in dengue cases in recent months has seen a 60 percent decrease with health workers calling it a ‘big achievement’.
“The situation in Colombo is much better. Within the past 2 weeks we have seen a 60 percent drop and we hope to sustain this,” Chief Medical Officer of the Colombo Municipal Council, Dr. Ruwan Wijemuni said.
Dr Wijemuni urged citizens to keep their premises clean and health inspectors would continue inspection checks across the city.
Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne told journalists on Wednesday that dengue cases had dropped in August and special dengue wards set up in hospitals were closing.
The Epidemiology Unit said that during the last 8 months, 136,468 suspected dengue cases have been reported to the Epidemiology Unit from all over the island.
Approximately 44.34 percent of dengue cases were reported from the Western Province.
“This situation warrants regular removal of possible mosquito breeding sites from the environment. It is also important to seek medical attention in the event of fever by day three of the illness,” the Epidimiology Unit said.
Last year a total of 54,727 dengue patients and 78 deaths were reported throughout the island.