Colombo, Aug 30 (newsin.asia) – Sri Lanka’s military on Wednesday denied allegations that a former military general had been involved in war crimes during and after the island’s 30 year civil conflict against Tamil Tiger rebels.
Military Spokesperson, Brigadier Roshan Seneviratne told journalists here that accusations leveled against Former General Jagath Jayasuriya were false and no Sri Lankan military official had been involved in war crimes.
Jayasuriya was a commander in the final stages of the civil war and is presently Sri Lanka’s ambassador in Latin America. He is expected to return back to the island country this week after completing his tenure as the Ambassador.
On Monday, several groups of South American Human Rights activists led by the International Truth and Justice Project (ITJP) filed a war crimes lawsuits in Brazil and Colombia against the former Sri Lankan Army General.
Human Rights activists have alleged that Jayasuriya led troops in the north-east of the island who allegedly attacked hospitals and abducted, killed and tortured thousands of civilians, mostly minority Tamils.
Lawsuits against Jayasuriya are also due to be filed in Peru, Chile and Argentina, according to the human rights groups.
Cabinet Spokesperson, Rajitha Senaratne told a weekly cabinet briefing here that while Sri Lanka would investigate allegations of disappearances, torture and human rights violations, it would not support claims against military officers without any evidence.
Sri Lankan troops militarily defeated the Tamil Tiger rebels in May 2009.