Sri Lanka President assures Meetotamulla garbage dump will be moved within 9 months

Sri Lanka President assures Meetotamulla garbage dump will be moved within 9 months

Colombo, April 20 (NIA) – Sri Lanka’s President Maithripala Sirisena, on Thursday assured that the 300 foot Meetotamulla garbage dump which collapsed on Friday killing 32 people would be moved within the next nine months.

Speaking to heads of local media institutions, Sirisena said the government would launch a speedy programme to resettle all victims of the garbage mountain collapse in Meetotamulla, just outside capital Colombo.

Sirisena said that 98 houses would be given to the families whose houses were completely destroyed within the next two days while steps would be taken to resettle all the families evacuated from the area.

The garbage dump will be gradually removed from the area by utilizing garbage for power generation, production of organic fertilizer or for land fill, without affecting the environment or the residents in any place, the President assured.

He further said the Army and the Engineering Unit of the Urban Development Authority (UDA) will take steps to move the Meetotamulla garbage dump systematically within nine months.

Furthermore, the Valuation Department and other relevant agencies have been instructed to conclude the damage assessment from the disaster during this week and hand over a damage assessment report.

All funds for compensation will be released immediately after this is completed.

The President further announced that a retired judge will be appointed to investigate those responsible for the garbage dump issue and report within one month.

At least 32 people were killed and many others missing when the 300 foot garbage dump collapsed on a residential neighborhood on Friday evening, as the country celebrated its local New Year.
Over 1000 people had been displaced by the tragedy and troops were still continuing with search operations on Thursday.

Leave a Reply