Islamabad,February 22 (The Express Tribune): The Pakistan armed forces on Wednesday launched Operation Radd-ul-Fasaad aimed at “indiscriminately eliminating” terrorism.
The Inter-Services Public Relations said in a press release that the operation will eliminate residual and latent threat of terrorism, consolidate gains of operations made thus far and further ensure the security of the borders.”
According to the military’s media wing, air force, navy, civil armed forces and other security and law enforcement agencies will jointly participate in efforts to eliminate terror from the country.
“The effort entails conduct of Broad Spectrum Security/Counter Terrorism (CT) operations by Rangers in Punjab, continuation of ongoing operations across the country and focus on more effective border security management,” the communiqué said. “Countrywide de-weaponization and explosive control are additional cardinals of the effort.”
The statement also highlighted that pursuance of the National Action Plan, which was formed after Peshawar school attack in 2014, will be the hallmark of Operation Radd-ul-Fasaad.
Pakistan has been hit by a series of suicide bomb attacks in recent days, claiming more than 100 lives.
At least 88 people were killed when a suicide bomber blew himself up at the Lal Shahbaz Qalandar shrine in Sindh’s Sehwan town last week.
In response, the security forces had launched a crackdown, killing over 100 militants.
TIMELINE: Military operations in Pakistan
The following are the major operations carried out by security forces against terrorists in recent past:
- Operation Rah-e-Haq-I, II and III in Swat (2007-09)
- Operation Sirat-e-Mustaqeem in Khyber Agency (2008)Operation Sherdil launched with Frontier Corps in Bajaur Agency (2008)
- Operation Rah-e-Rast in Swat (2009)
- Operation Rah-e-Nijat in South Waziristan (2009)
- Operation Sirat Mustaqeem (Righteous Path) in Bara (2008). This was followed by Operation Daraghlam (here I come) in December 2008, and Bia Daraghlam (Here I come again). The last operation Khawkh Ba de Sham (will teach you a lesson) was conducted in November 2009.
- Operation Black Thunderstorm in Buner, Lower Dir and Shangla district (2009)
- Operation Zarb-e-Azb in North Waziristan (2014)
- Operation Khyber I, II and III in Khyber Agency (2014-16)
- Operation Radd-ul-Fasaad across the country (2017)