Colombo, August 17 (NewsWire) – The Mayor of Colombo Rosy Senanayake has issued a warning to the residents of Colombo and those visiting the city with regard to the prevalent coronavirus pandemic.
Stating that Sri Lanka is at a critical point in the battle against the spread of Covid-19, she appealed to the public and institutions to act responsibly by adhering to the health guidelines, urging them to safeguard themselves.
Rosy Senanayake further appealed to the public to adhere to the following 09 key steps over the next few weeks:
- Get yourself vaccinated if not already done so.
- Wear a well-fitting mask or even a double mask whenever out of home. Sanitize often and maintain social distancing at all times.
- Do not leave home unless absolutely necessary. Check if the service you need is available online. For example, many services related to the Colombo Municipal Council (CMC), are available online.
- When you do leave home minimize the time spent away from home.
- Do not permit any visitors to your home unless absolutely necessary.
- The government is permitting certain activities so that essential work can be continued. Do not take it as an opportunity to undertake any activities other than what is absolutely necessary.
- It is alarming to see many business establishments, including but not limited to, restaurants, hotels, shops, and supermarkets, openly ignoring health guidelines on crowding, temperature checks, and contact info gathering. This is reckless disregard of customer and employee safety, and completely unacceptable. Fancy statements on corporate social responsibility amount to nothing if you do not step up now!
- Businesses also should encourage employees to work from home unless it’s absolutely necessary to be physically present at work. In such instances they should try to provide a mode of transport for the individual that minimizes exposure.
- Furthermore, employees may take unnecessary risks due to concerns about losing their jobs. It is incumbent on the employer not to create that work environment.