June 12 (Daily Mirror) – The Health Ministry yesterday said it takes time for the confirmation of Covid-19 fatalities according to the guidelines, and therefore the fatalities announced each day are deaths which occurred in the span of a few days.
Deputy Director General of Health Services Dr. Hemantha Herath told a news briefing yesterday that it could take a considerable time period to confirm some deaths.
“It must be said that it’s not a delay. The Director General of Health Services has issued relevant guidelines for the examination and confirmation of COVID-19 deaths. The bulletin about Covid deaths are released after following the relevant guidelines. For that, it may take time,” Dr. Herath said.
“It does not mean that this happens because of the inefficiency of the Health officials but owing to the procedures that they have to follow when releasing the final count,” he pointed out.
Thus, Dr. Herath said there was no move to hide or exaggerate the number of COVID-19 deaths.
“The Health officials are accomplishing a sincere service when it comes to COVID-19 related matters,” he added.
According to the statement issued by the Government Information Department in connection with the deaths on June 10 where 67 deaths were reported, 19 deaths had been reported between the period of May 17 to May 31 while 48 deaths were reported between June 1 to June 8.