March 2, Colombo (Daily Mirror) – Former Prime Minister and UNP Leader Ranil Wickremesinghe has raised serious concerns over the findings of the Easter Sunday attacks saying there were still many unanswered questions which needed to be looked into.
Mr. Wickremesinghe told the Daily Mirror that while the former government was indeed responsible for the security of the country during its tenure, information was not shared with him on time and even to date some questions had received no answers.”there were two issues involved. One is why did the information come late to the government about the possibility of the attacks. They had briefed the
President in February, but before that there had been no major report coming in. So what happened there?” Mr. Wickremesinghe said.
“Secondly, during the last few days we had information which came from the Indian side. I find that this is very incomplete. When I got in that day, soon after the attacks, and spoke to the intelligence and other security agencies after the bomb blast, within 9 hours they had identified Ibrahim and others and cracked open the case and had gone into Dematagoda. That means when they are under pressure they can work really well. Why was it that they could not tell us about Zahran and the others earlier?” he questioned.
He further warned Sri Lanka was heading for an economic crisis by the end of the year and a lack of funds was the main reason that the government had not been able to purchase the anti COVID-19 vaccines or place the sufficient number of orders to cover the necessary population. (Jamila Husain)