13th May, Colombo: The ‘Aragalaya’, as the protest is now known, issued a joint declaration with an eight-point list of demands that represent the opinions of all protesting parties.
Yesterday, a group of Aragalaya leaders addressed the media on the summary of the joint declaration and urged the incoming Prime Minister to listen to the people’s views and act quickly.
- President Gotabaya Rajapaksa must resign
- An interim government limited to 15 ministers that remains for a period of 18-months
- Essential amendments to the Constitution, such as repealing the 20th Amendment and bringing in the new 21st Amendment
- The economic crisis, requests for a relief budget and social security net for vulnerable communities
- Audit of current elected officials
- Transparent surveillance of all crimes that have been committed financial and otherwise
- The Right to life which is the Fundamental Rights of all citizens
- Fair and Independent Elections