Colombo, June 20 (NewsWire) – The Central Environmental Authority (CEA) has been instructed to take immediate action to ban polythene and plastic products from the second list, including single-use plastic items.
Environment Minister Mahinda Amaraweera said the ban is to be imposed as a majority of the plastic items on this list can be produced using eco-friendly materials despite the use of perishable alternatives.
The country has to face massive environmental damage due to these products using polythene and plastic, he further said.
It has further been recommended that plastic sticks for incense and wicks packaging be prohibited, as well as food wrappers used to prevent fruit and vegetable crushing.
Polythene and plastic based products in the second list are as follows.
- Shirt clips in Shirt Packs
- Single use Plastic Spoons
- Food containers Yogurt / Ice Cream
- Food Packs and Cups
- Polythene and Plastic Posters
- Advertisements, cut-outs and various types of advertisements
- Prohibition of single-use disposable drinking straws and stirrers
- Small shopping bags made of polythene and plastic up to 400-500 mm
- Grocery bags, products manufactured from PET
- PVC Small bottles less than 400 mm.