Colombo, Nov 17 (newsin.asia) – The Sri Lankan government, on Friday assured it would not allow any criminal gangs to raise its head in the former war torn north following a recent spate of attacks which had spread fear in the district.
Minister of Law and Order, Sagala Ratnayake said that police had expedited investigations on the attacks and six people had already been arrested. Police security had also been strengthened across the district to arrest others involved in the attacks.
The attacks are alleged to have been carried out by the AVA gang, which in recent months have attacked civilians with swords, spreading fear and creating unrest.
“It was reported that the gang had launched eight attacks in the Northern Province recently. The Police have already arrested six persons in connection with these incidents and further investigations are underway to arrest other members of the group,” the Minister said.
“We don’t want to restrict our operations against criminal gangs only to the Northern Province. Similar operations are already underway in other parts of the country as well, and the Police have made significant progress in this regard. Crucial details of some ‘masterminds’ operating the underworld from overseas have already been uncovered,” the Minister added.
At least five people were injured and hospitalized after they were attacked by armed men in Jaffna last week, police said.
Sri Lanka’s north was the strong hold of the rebels known as the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelaam (LTTE) who were militarily defeated by government troops in May 2009.