Male, June 29 (newsin.asia): Former Maldives President Mohamed Nasheed, who was likely to be one of the leading candidates in the September Presidential Election, said Friday, that he will back away from contesting the crucial polls for the betterment of his party, the Maldivian Democratic Party.
MDP Spokesperson, Hamid Abdul Gafoor told newsin.asia that Nasheed had decided to not contest and his decision was announced a day before the party congress meeting.
“Right now the circumstances are such that President Nasheed feels it is better if he does not contest. We still have time till the final candidates are announced so we will discuss on a new candidature,” Gafoor said.
The Maldives will hold its Presidential Election on September 23.
The ruling Progressive Party of Maldives said last month that the party’s presidential candidate for the upcoming election will be incumbent President Abdulla Yameen.
Former home minister Umar Naseer has announced his intention to stand for the election and has already launched his campaign as an independent candidate.
The final candidates will be announced on August 9.