Colombo, April 22 (newsin.asia) — Sri Lankan Police, on Monday said the death toll from the multiple explosions which occurred across Sri Lanka on Sunday has risen to 290 while over 500 have been injured.
32 foreigners were among those killed.
Police Spokesperson, SP Ruwan Gunasekara said 24 suspects had been arrested so far and investigations were ongoing to nab more suspects. On Monday morning, two of the suspects arrested were nabbed from Dambulla.
Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said all arrested were local citizens.
Gunasekara said the islandwide curfew which was imposed indefinitely from Sunday afternoon was lifted on Monday morning and public transport had resumed to normal.
However schools would remain closed on Monday and Tuesday.
Security had been strengthened across Sri Lanka and tight security would remain in place, the police said.
People were advised to remain cautious and avoid carrying large parcels, especially on public transport.
Several explosions were reported from across Sri Lanka on Sunday as hundreds of worshipers gathered at churches to commemorate Easter Sunday, the police said.
Gunasekara said that explosions were reported from the St. Anthony’s Church in Kochchikade, in capital Colombo and another from the St. Sebastians Church in Negombo, in the outskirts of the capital on Sunday morning.
A third explosion was reported from the Zion Church in Batticaloa, in the east.
Explosions were also reported from three star class hotels in Colombo while on Sunday afternoon an explosion was reported from a hotel, opposite the zoo in Dehiwala, in Colombo and another from a housing complex in Dematagoda, in Colombo.